Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Interview - K. K. Paul Board

I was first person in afternoon session. It was K. K. Paul sir’s board.

I knocked the door and asked “May I come in sir?”
Panel: Come in.
Me: Good afternoon madam, good afternoon all of you sir.

PAUL SIR: Sit down
ME: (while sitting) Thank you sir.

PAUL SIR: What is your name?
ME: Sir, my name is Shah Rukh Khan.

PAUL SIR: Tell me your birth date?
ME: My birth date is 2nd November, 19*5.

PAUL SIR: What is your role number?
ME: My role number is 007746.

PAUL SIR: You are an engineer?
ME: Yes sir.

PAUL SIR: What is this E&TC?
ME: Sir it’s the branch in which I did my engineering. It stands for Electronics and Telecommunication.

PAUL SIR: You did job also in Cisco?
ME: Yes sir I did job for one year in Starent which is sub-sidiary of Cisco.

PAUL SIR: Your hobby is Hindi movie songs – listening and singing, so you are a singer?
ME: Yes sir, I am.

PAUL SIR: What kind of songs you sing?
ME: (I was not clear what to answer whether he asking in terms of – melody, sad etc or – new, old etc) (smiling) Sir please specify (He again asked the same thing…same words… L )

ME: Sir I like old songs so generally old songs I sing.

PAUL SIR: Of whom Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosale?
ME: Sir, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosale and Kishore Kumar also.

PAUL SIR: Don’t you think you are limiting your sphere of singing?
ME: Extremely sorry, sir. But it’s not like that. Prominently I sing old song however if you ask me I will sing any song for you.

PAUL SIR: What is this (second) hobby, Hindi movie dialogue – Recital, Delivery?
ME: Sir, that means I remember the dialogues and then deliver it.

PAUL SIR: That means you bring a dialogue book and mug the dialogues from it.
ME: Sorry sir, I remember them while watching the movie, itself.

PAUL SIR: Which is your favorite movie?
ME: Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge.

PAUL SIR: How many times you watched it?
ME: 20 Plus times.

PAUL SIR: That’s it, just 20 times. You said it is your favorite movie and just 20 times….. very less…. Very very less. It is still going on in theatres.
ME: Yes sir it is running in Maratha Mandir in Mumbai.

PAUL SIR:  It’s running from last 15 years and by that calculation you watched just once in 8 months, very less, very very less. (He carry on saying this stuff for at least 5-6 times)

(Now what I could say in front of THE MIGHTY PAUL? I did not say anything and just maintained smiling face.)

PAUL SIR: Ok, do you remember all the dialogues of the movie?
ME: Sir, majority of the dialogues I remember.

PAUL SIR: Your first optional is History. Tell me about how Guru Govind Singh related to Nanded?
ME: Nanded is a place where Guru Govind Singhji was assassinated in 1708. Before that he separated the spiritual and physical part of Guruship here, spiritual part he attributed to Guru Granth Sahib and physical part he attributed to KHALSA.

PAUL SIR: What happened just 4-5 years before his assassination?
 ME: Rather than telling what happened 4-5 years back I will start from 9 years before his death. In 1699 he established Khalsa Panth, he then built forts, fought many battles with Mughals. He was not on good terms with emperor Aurangazeb but after Aurangazeb reconciliation took place with emperor Bahadur Shah.

PAUL SIR: Do you know Zafarnama?
 ME: Sir, Zafarnama is a book written by Guru Govind Singhji. In it he criticized the policies of Aurangazeb, particularly his religious policies and he urged Aurangazeb to be more tolerant to other religions.

PAUL SIR: How many battles Sikh fought?
 ME: With Mughals(?)

PAUL SIR: No, no. With British
 ME: Two

PAUL SIR: When was first battle fight?
 ME: In 1845

PAUL SIR: Second?
 ME: In 1848

PAUL SIR: Do you know treaty of Amritsar?
 ME: There are 2-3 treaties between Sikhs and British but sir I exactly do not remember which treaty it is but it is between Sikhs and British.


PAUL SIR: Panipat is famous for many battles. Why so many battles fought there? 
 ME: I am sorry sir but I don’t know exactly. However it might be due to the flat terrain around Panipat.

PAUL SIR: The whole earth is flat, but why only Panipat?
 ME: I am extremely sorry sir, I guess this is one of the reason. Except this right now I am not remembering other reasons.

PAUL SIR: Your second optional is Political science and IR, what is this IR?
 ME: International relations.

PAUL SIR: What is happening in Afghanistan?
 ME: Sir, Afghanistan is main battle field of War Against Terror since 2003 which is being fought between US and NATO with Taliban. Right now there is civilian democratic government in Afghanistan under president MR. Karzai.

PAUL SIR: What is role and scope for India in Afghanistan?
 ME: India’s role Afghanistan is mainly associated with development work. India is building roads, schools, power plants etc. Afghanistan provides India a chance to promote its Soft power image world wide.

PAUL SIR: Is it sufficient or India should involve in military operations there?
 ME: I think right now it is sufficient to concentrate on development work …
           
PAUL SIR: (Paul sir interrupted before I complete) then why India did not get importance in London talks?
 ME: Sir, I agree that India did not get enough importance in London talks but after that India started using its bilateral relations with neighbours of Afghanistan like Iran, Russia to exert its influence….

PAUL SIR: (Paul sir interrupted AGAIN) Which countries participated in London talks?
 ME: US, Pakistan, Afghanistan. Right now I am remembering these only, sir.

PAUL SIR: Do you know Great Game?
 ME: I am sorry sir but I have no idea about it.
            (Then he hand over the baton to the lady member)

LADY MEMBER: You did job in an IT company?
ME: Yes madam.

LADY MEMBER: Do you support that Industrial revolution transformed 19th century, same way IT revolution transformed 20th century?
ME: Yes madam.

LADY MEMBER: Explain
ME: After industrial revolution economy got impetus and same happened after IT revolution also. The per capita income increased, purchasing capability of people increased. Both revolutions brought economic activism. Both started in Western world and then spread to 3rd world however the advantages of industrial revolution reached 3rd world country very slowly but that of IT revolution reached very fast.

LADY MEMBER: Ok you told one difference between Industrial and IT revolution, so now differentiate them.
ME: As I told earlier though both started in Western world but spread of IT revolution to 3rd world was faster than that of Industrial revolution. As soon as (IT) product development started in Western world Services started in 3rd world. The same thing we can say in terms of fruits reaped of them by both (worlds).
            Emergence of middle class was there in Industrial revolution but extent was less than that of IT revolution.

LADY MEMBER: Any thing more?
ME: Industrial revolution was related to goods and IT revolution is related to services.

LADY MEMBER: Ok, do you think globalization is product of IT?
ME: Globalization means intermingling of people, diminishing of importance of boundaries. Globalization is a process rather than an event. And with the passage of time globalization was bound to happen. Emergence of IT expedited the process of globalization. Due to IT seem less and fast flow of information occurred. It helped in intermingling of people. So rather than saying that Globalization is product of IT I will say IT revolution expedited the process of globalization.

3rd MEMBER: You are a Telecommunication engineer, do you know about ISRO-Devas Spectrum deal?
ME: Yes sir.

3rd MEMBER: Tell me what does spectrum mean?
ME: Sir, spectrum is range of frequencies.

3rd MEMBER: Do you know those ranges?
ME: Different telecommunication application uses different ranges, GSM uses some frequencies, CDMA uses some other, even FM and AM radio signals uses some other bands.

3rd MEMBER: Can you specify exact frequency ranges?
ME: Yes sir. FM radio uses 88 MHz – 108 MHz, DOOR DARSHAN uses below 88 MHz, other TV channels use frequencies above 108 MHz, GSM uses 2 bands in range 800 MHz – 900 MHz, CDMA uses 2 bands in range 1800 MHz – 1900 MHz.

3rd MEMBER: Do you know frequency range of S band?
ME: Yes sir, it’s roughly between 2GHz – 5GHz.

3rd MEMBER: For what application S band is used?
ME: It is used for defence application, satellite telecommunication and 3G services.

3rd MEMBER: What is the difference between 1G, 2G, 3G and 4G?
ME: These are all generations of wireless telecommunication. 1G started in 1980, 2G started in 1990, 3G started in 2000 and 4G will start operation from 2012.
            1G is uses analog technology while all other use digital technology.
            2G uses circuit switching for voice and packet switching for data communication while 3G and 4G use packet switching for voice as well as data communication.
            The speed limits are ….

3rd MEMBER: (Interrupting me in between) Ok Shah Rukh, now tell us what difference 3G will make to customers?
ME: Sir, as data rate is higher per bit cost will be less. So communication will become cheaper. Fast data speed so it can be used to real time applications such as video calls, video on demand. Also the quality of audio signals will improve. Data downloading will be faster.

3rd MEMBER: Do you know TRAI?
ME: Yes sir.

3rd MEMBER: TRAI proposed that rather than using satellite we should use cable network. What do you think which should be used?
ME: Sir rather than using only I will say we should go for judicious combination of both. Considering the vast span of our country and variety of terrain it will not be feasible to lie down cable and maintain it e.g. North East. Such areas should be targeted by satellite and areas of planes where density is more should be targeted by fibre cable as fibre is cheaper. So I will say we should go for judicious combination of both.

4th MEMBER: You are student with History as first optional, do you know Cornwallis?
ME: Yes sir.

4th MEMBER: He is famous for 3 very important policies, take anyone and explain?
ME: Permanent settlement.


4th MEMBER: When it was implemented?
ME: First in 1987 as 10 year settlement and then converted into permanent settlement in 1890.

4th MEMBER: Explain it?
ME: (I was not remembering it exactly, still I went talking just giving its overview only)

4th MEMBER: Do you know Indian Councils Act?
ME: As all the acts have same kind of name, it is difficult for me to recognize which act it is.

4th MEMBER: Should I explain a bit more?
ME: Yes sir, tell me 2-3 provisions of it then I will tell you which act it is.

4th MEMBER: It is an act related to introduction of legislature in Governor’s council?
ME: If you are asking about introduction of legislature then it was in 1833 Act when law member was introduced and Macaulay was first law member.

4th MEMBER: Ok, that is some long story. I will not indulge in that. There are 3 law commissions of British period. Tell their years?
ME: Sir, first law commission was formed in 1830s during tenure of Bentinck, second in 1850s. And I am extremely sorry sir but I am unable to recollect when 3rd law commission was formed.

4th MEMBER: Do you know chairman of first law commission of independent India?
ME: (I thought what question these guys are asking, am I giving PT??) Sorry sir but I am unable to remember it.

4th MEMBER: dsjkljfdjklfsajldjkjl
ME: Sorry sir, I missed the question.

4th MEMBER: It’s ok.

5th MEMBER: Do you know when land grants to universities started in India?
ME: (I did not here universities) Sir land grants?? It was started in Kushana times in ancient India.

5th MEMBER: No, no. I am asking about land grants to universities?
ME: I am sorry sir but I don’t know.

5th MEMBER: Which is first agricultural university in India?
ME: (smiling) I am sorry sir but I don’t know.

5th MEMBER: What is India’s food grain production?
ME: I am extremely sorry sir, I don’t know exact statistics but it is more than 200 million tones.

5th MEMBER: 200 mt?? It was far before. Tell me current figure?
ME: (smiling) I am sorry sir but I know this much.

5th MEMBER: What is India’s number one agricultural export?
ME: (smiling) I am sorry sir but I don’t know which is no1export but I know that we export cotton and sugar.

5th MEMBER: What is India’s number one agricultural import?
ME: (as this was 5th question of this agri obsessed guy and I was unable to answer a single question satisfactorily, it was becoming difficult for me to maintain smiling face)
 I am sorry sir but I don’t know which is no1 import but I know that we import pulses from Myanmaar.

5th MEMBER: Pulses?? But its quantity is very less. Its oil seeds.
ME: Oil seeds?? Hmm…thank you for the information sir.

5th MEMBER: Now tell from which country we import oil seeds more?
ME: (What a senseless question it was! If I don’t know that oil seed is no 1 import then how could I know the country from which it is imported? I was becoming restless but I thought that till this point I was cool and composed, now it is almost end of interview so I should not spoil my interview. Either way he will at most now ask 2-3 questions, let’s face it. I know many things but unfortunately he is asking the things which I don’t know. I can’t do anything for it so If don’t know then will say that with confidence) (Bringing back cheerfulness on my face) Extremely sorry sir, I don’t know.

5th MEMBER: Another question – Fact based
ME: (smiling) I am sorry sir but I don’t know.



5th MEMBER: Ok (He looked at Paul sir)

Paul sir: Ok then…

ME: Thank you madam, thank you all of you sir. Have a nice day to all. (I did it with due respect as if it will fetch 300 out of 300 marks for me but they were least interested in my greeting J)



1 comment:

  1. All the best dude.. I hope you will come out with flying colors.. :)

    ReplyDelete